Lord Mayor slams Star ‘misrepresentations’    Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore has attacked the “powerful vested interests” backing Star casino’s proposed luxury hotel and residential tower in Pyrmont while making a renewed plea for the Independent Planning Commission to scrap the project  The state’s planning department in July rejected Star’s multi-million dollar plan for the 237-metre high Ritz Carlton tower saying it would “appear isolated and overly prominent” to the detriment of local views  The proposed tower – which is eight times over the current height limit and would house 220 hotel rooms and 204 residential apartments – is now being examined by the planning commission  Ms Moore on Tuesday criticised News Corp Australia when addressing a public meeting held by the IPC  “The (Daily) Telegraph’s criticism of the department’s recommendation rests on the implication that Pyrmont is somehow devoid of a planning vision and that Sydney urgently needs more high-end hotels to maintain its status as a tourist destination,” she said in a written copy of her speech  “These misrepresentations must be corrected.”  The lord mayor urged the commission to reject the proposal because it would undermine the planning system, is opposed by the community and “provides little, if any, public benefit despite being on public land”  “This would be the most significant departure from valid planning controls in NSW history and would be inequitable for all other developers, landholders and investors,” Ms Moore said  But Star chief executive Matt Bekier denied the community opposed the project, saying over 5000 people had viewed a display outlining the proposal, and only 80 had lodged objections  “We’ve done more than anybody has ever done on community engagement,” he told reporters  Mr Bekier dismissed concerns the 66-storey tower would ruin the amenity of the area  He argued in the past there’d been a power station on the site with smokestacks “that went up over a hundred metres – so it is not entirely out of context”  The planning commission has the power to approve or reject the proposal or, alternatively, impose conditions  Premier Gladys Berejiklian last week announced a separate review by the Greater Sydney Commission of the planning rules hindering the tower’s development  Ms Berejiklian said she wanted to send “a strong message that Pyrmont is open for business” Share or comment on this article: Lord Mayor slams Star ‘misrepresentations’ e-mail Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article